Pharmacy negotiators launch review of local sector representation

david wright

The Pharmaceutical Services Negotiating Committee (PSNC) and local pharmaceutical committees (LPCs) will undergo an independent review to ensure that they are making make the most of their representation and support for community pharmacy contractors.

David Wright, a professor of pharmacy practice at the University of East Anglia’s school of pharmacy, will the review of the roles and structures underpinning the PSNC and LPCs’ operations.

The review is expected to result in recommendations that will improve PSNC and LPC contractor representation and support.

It will also ensure that the national network structure is working as efficiently for contractors as it can in light of the launch of primary care networks and the five-year ‘Community pharmacy contractual framework: 2019 to 2024’.

A national steering committee is being established to oversee the project and assist Wright to deliver the review.

Wright said he wanted to know “whether the current organisational structures, financial models and communication processes provide greatest value for money and, if they don’t, to explore how we can change them”. 

Simon Dukes, cheif executive of the PSNC, said: “The PSNC and the LPCs are funding this independent review to look at what models and ways of working will best serve community pharmacy contractors in the future.”

The cost of the review will be shared, with the PSNC contributing 30% of the cost and LPC levies covering the remaining 70%.

Wright and the national steering committee are expected to provide a final report by the end of March 2020.

Last updated
Citation
The Pharmaceutical Journal, Pharmacy negotiators launch review of local sector representation;Online:DOI:10.1211/PJ.2019.20207414

You may also be interested in