This photograph shows the shop front of Deane & Co. — a pharmacy formerly located in Clapham, London.
Between 1911 and 1914, Margaret Buchanan bought the pharmacy to be used by her students attending the Gordon Hall School of Pharmacy for Women. Students were able to use the pharmacy setting to learn the practical skills of making and dispensing medicines.
In 1914, Agnes Borrowman joined Buchanan in running the business and later took it over entirely. During Borrowman’s time as proprietor, Deane & Co. was staffed entirely by women, to give them the opportunity to enter the pharmacy profession.
In 1945, Borrowman converted the business to a limited company, and Hilda Francis Wells took over as director. Deane & Co. later closed in 1975.