Robert Blyth, FRPharmS, who edited The Pharmaceutical Journal from 1961 to 1986, has died. A pharmaceutical journalist for the greater part of his career, he died on 27 November 2014, aged 93.
Blyth qualified in pharmacy from Heriot-Watt School of Pharmacy in Edinburgh in 1949 following an apprenticeship with Boots the Chemists. After working as a pharmacist for a short time he began his journalistic career with Chemist & Druggist as a subeditor in 1951. He was promoted to C&D assistant editor in 1954.
Also working at the C&D at the time was Ernest Pullom, who was appointed editor of The Pharmaceutical Journal in 1957. Blyth followed him as assistant editor, taking over the editorship when Pullom left in 1961. He held that position until he retired in 1986.
After his retirement, a leading article in The Pharmaceutical Journal praised his commitment, describing him as “a man of great determination and character [who] gave over his life to the job”.
In 1986, he was awarded the Society’s Charter Gold Medal, which recognised outstanding service rendered by members of the Society in promoting the interests of pharmacy.
He was designated a Fellow of the then Pharmaceutical Society of Great Britain for his services to pharmaceutical journalism in 1970. And in 1987, he was awarded membership of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) in the Queen’s birthday honours list.
Blyth’s wife Phyllis predeceased him. He is survived by his daughter Jane.