On leaving school in Bury St Edmunds, Beryl (née Ginsberg) had initially enrolled on a nursing course at Colchester Hospital, Essex, but soon decided that nursing was not for her. She took a job as a dispensing assistant in a chemists and was persuaded by the pharmacist to train in the profession. Beryl trained at Leicester Polytechnic and qualified on 7 October 1955. She did her preregistration year at the Norfolk and Norwich Hospital and then taught pharmacognosy at the School of Pharmacy in Johannesburg, South Africa.
After her marriage in 1960, she worked as a locum in many places in North London, while raising three daughters and two adopted sons. In the 1990s, she returned to her home town of Bury St Edmunds and continued locum work, until she finally retired aged 83 years. Her lifelong love of pharmacy and dedication to continued learning never diminished.