The scheme for the 2024 election provides for seven substantive places on the Welsh Pharmacy Board for a Member or Fellow who works or lives wholly or mainly in Wales as follows:
- One place for any eligible Member whose substantive practice is in the Primary Care sector
- Two places for any eligible Member whose substantive practice is in the Hospital Care sector
- Two places for any eligible Member whose substantive practice is in the Community sector
- Two places for shall be filled by any eligible Member
The newly elected Primary Care candidate and the first elected Hospital, Community and any sector candidates shall serve for three years. The remaining elected candidates shall serve for two years.
In the event that there are insufficient candidates to require an election to be held in any of the sectors (including the ‘any eligible Member’ sector), the allocation of the terms of office shall be determined by drawing of lots. This follows the process to be used in the event of a tied vote, as set out in the Election Scheme “the election shall be decided between the tied candidates by the drawing of lots conducted by the Scrutineer” (Election Scheme Section 18)’.
In the above context ‘substantive practice’ is taken to refer to a situation where a pharmacist spends more than 50% of their professional working time in practice in the sector in question.
The eligibility criteria are set out below.
Nominations for candidates in the Welsh Pharmacy Board election cannot be made until 18 March 2024 and must be made via the Independent Scrutineer, Mi-Voice’s website www.mi-nomination.com/rpharms. For further information please contact Mi-Voice Support on 02380 763987.
The nomination must include details of one Member nominator whose own address on the Society’s database must be in Wales or overseas*. Members who nominate candidates must have completed 2024 membership processes.
A Member or Fellow who is resident overseas at the time the electoral roll is closed shall be entitled to nominate a candidate for the English Pharmacy Board unless they have opted to be an elector of one of the other National Pharmacy Boards.
Nominations for election to these vacancies must be received by 12 noon on 8 April 2024.
A nomination submission may be withdrawn by notice in writing, signed by the prospective candidate and delivered to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 9am on 3 May 2024.
- A Member shall be eligible for election only if they are a Member or Fellow of the Society.
- A retired Member of the Society shall be eligible for election.
- A Member or Fellow may only stand for election to one board.
- A Member or Fellow shall be eligible for election to the Welsh Pharmacy Board only if they work or live wholly or mainly in Wales.
- If, by resolution of a Board, any elected Member of that Board has ceased to meet the requirements relating to their residency they shall cease to be a Member of the Board in question.
- Any elected Member of a Board who changes their substantive practice following their election shall be eligible to serve the full term for which they were elected.
- No Member or Fellow shall be eligible for election if they have failed to pay by the date and time fixed for the return of nomination forms (8 April 2024) any subscription or other debt due and payable by them to the Society.
- No Member or Fellow shall be eligible for election if they have been charged with a criminal offence (except where that charge is covered by the Rehabilitation of Offenders Act 1974) or have been notified by the Society or any professional, regulatory or public body that they is subject to investigation in relation to their conduct or competence, and the matter is unresolved.
- No Member or Fellow shall be eligible for election if they are employed by the Society.
Periods of office
The period of office of the newly elected Primary Care Member, the first elected Hospital, Community and any sector Members shall be three years. The period of office for the remaining elected members shall be two years.
It is expected that voting instructions will be sent to the electorate on or about 10 May 2024. The deadline for voting will be 5pm on 20 May 2024.
Newly elected Board Members will take office at 00:01 on 18 June 2024 (NB – please be aware that this date could be subject to change).
Elen Jones, returning officer for Wales